Substance Abuse

by Dr. Judith Mazza

Treatment of substance abuse problems require coordinated treatment between psychologist and a physician. These problems can be particularly difficult to solve because the patient may not recognize or agree that they are in need of treatment. At the Center for Problem Solving, we have found that treatment may be shortened if concerned family members and/or friends agree to participate in the treatment with the patient.

Drug abuse is not confined to illegal drug use. Many types of medications can be abused. They include laxatives, cold medications, tranquilizers, pain killers and stimulants. If you or someone you know is using illegal drugs, there is a potential legal problem as well as a medical problem. It is important to arrange for proper medical and psychological help as soon as possible.

Here are some questions to ask yourself about DRUG AND ALCOHOL ABUSE:
  • Have you ever gotten into fights or arguments while drinking or using drugs?
  • Do you feel guilty about your drug or alcohol abuse?
  • Is it difficult for you to stop alcohol or drug use?
  • Have you ever been charged with a DWI or DUI?
  • Have you ever been arrested for drunken behavior?
  • Has your drinking ever gotten you into trouble at work or school?
  • Have you ever lost your job because of drinking?
  • Do you begin drinking before noon?
  • Has anyone tried to get you to stop drinking or taking medications/drugs?
  • Has your substance abuse ever created problems with your spouse, parents or a relative?
  • Have you ever broken the law to get money for drugs or alcohol?
  • Have you ever lost friends because of drug or alcohol use?
If you are able to answer "yes" to any of these questions about yourself or someone you care about, then you may benefit from treatment from a professional psychologist who will work with all parties concerned.

Eating Disorders
Loneliness, Fears and Anxieties
Marital Problems
Parenting, Adolescent and Child Behavior
Relationship and Family Problems
Separation and Divorce Adjustment
Sexual Difficulties
Stress and Crisis
Substance Abuse

Business Consultation Services
Consultation Services to Licensed Therapists
Call us at (301) 469-7200