by Dr. Judith Mazza
Most people experience some changes in mood, they can feel happy one day and perhaps a little sad on another. If, however, you find that feelings of sadness persist, you may be depressed. Depression is a common problem, which can be experienced at any age, and can be successfully treated.
Here are some questions that may indicate that you are depressed and should seek treatment from a psychologist:
- Do you have less energy than other people?
- Have you lost your appetite or find yourself overeating?
- Are you sleeping too much or too little?
- Do you feel unmotivated to go to work?
- Have you isolated yourself?
- Have you stopped socializing?
- Do you cry easily?
- Do you feel hopeless about the future?
- Have you stopped doing things that you used to enjoy?
- Have you lost your sense of humor?
- Are you sad much of the time?
If you have thoughts about going to sleep and not wanting to wake up or think that things would be better if you didn't exist, this is an indication of serious emotional problems. Contemplation of suicide indicates that urgent professional intervention is required.